There are two ways to ensure that every cigar you smoke provides an optimal experience. One way is to purchase each one as you plan to smoke it, even going so far as enjoying it onsite if your cigar store offers a cigar lounge. The other is to store your cigars with the two basic things they need: the right humidity level and temperature. To do this, you’ll not only need a quality humidor, but also know how to use it correctly. So, what happens if you happen to store your cigars incorrectly? Well, in a nutshell, they won’t do you much good. Here’s how to tell something hasn’t gone right.
- The wrapper on your cigars has cracked. This is a sign that the cigar has become dry and the oils in the wrapper have dissipated.
- Your cigars have no flavor. A dried-out cigar has next to no flavor because it is the oils that produce the flavor, and the oil is the first thing to evaporate when cigars are not stored properly.
- Your cigars taste bitter. Before they have lost all flavor, cigars can lean toward bitterness as the sugars in the tobacco are lost.
- You have difficulty lighting your cigars. This is an indication of the opposite of being dried out. If your cigars experience too much humidity, the moisture makes it difficult to light them. It can also cause them to go out more, which results in a bitterness. An uneven burn can also be a result of improper storage, as the exterior dries out before the interior.
- Your cigars are moldy. Too much humidity along with improper temperature can easily cause mold to form, rendering your cigars unusable.
- You have tiny holes in your cigars. If you notice tiny holes in your cigars, it is likely that cigar beetles have gotten into your stash, and you will need to throw them out.
If you would like to learn more about the storage of cigars or would like to learn about top brand cigars or enjoy a cigar lounge in the Winston-Salem, North Carolina area, stop by and see us at Top Leaf Cigar Lounge. We are happy to help you have an excellent experience as you learn more about cigars.